The best – and potentially the most dangerous! - thing about vegan pancakes is that I always have the ingredients in the house, so I can pretty much make then whenever I want.
I often make normal(non-vegan) pancakes and find I always have the ingredients, which is great when stuck for a quick dinner or any meal really. As I’m not Vegan I make both Vegan and Veggie, so here are 3 delicious Vegan recipes and 1 Vegetarian recipe from my person collection.
So here they are, some very exciting sweet and savoury recipe picks for you to try - if you have never had savoury pancakes before you are in for a real treat!
Basic Vegan Pancakes – add your own topping
(Credit:The Edgy Veg)
(Credit: Lazy Cat Kitchen)
(Credit: Cilantro and Citronella)
and finally a recipe I often make in my house hold, sometimes as often as once a week -
Jerk Spiced Pancakes - Great for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner
- 135g/4¾ozself raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp jerk seasoning
- 130ml/4½fl oz almond milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp melted butter (for cooking)
- Sour Cream
- Chilli flakes
- Fried plantain
- Hot sauce
- Veggie/Vegan sausages
- Pancakes: Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, forming a well in the centre, then add the milk of your choice, folding in the spring onions.
- Melt a small bit of non-dairy spread over a medium heat. Pour 1/3 cup or a small ladle full of pancake batter onto the warmed pan, forming a circle with an even distribution of batter. Once bubbles start to form in the batter and a lip forms around the edge, flip your pancake. Repeat until you’ve used up all of the batter.
- Serve with the sides/garnish of your choice. Ours is sour cream, chilli flakes, plantain, hot sauce and vegan sausages for a great breakfast... or any meal, really.
If none of these tickle your fancy then why not try coming up this your own by either adding to the 'Basic vegan Recipe' or coming up with something entirely new all together.
We can’t wait to see what you come up with!
A really simple twist on the basic mix that I love is just adding some ground cinnamon and colourful sprinkles to make Spiced Funfetti pancakes, they taste & look great which makes them a hit with both kids and adults. Just have fun with it and get as creative or keep it as simple as you want, before you know it you’ll be making pancakes at least once a week.